Convert & Upload Impress Slide Show to Word Press

Robert created the topic: Convert & Upload Impress Slide Show to Word Press

I am trying to transfer an OOo Impress slide show to my new website on Wordpress.org. After searching for any guidance available on the web, I have tried saving the existing slideshow as an http or Flash file although neither choice exists in the Impress "Save As" window. I have also tried exporting the slide show as http, pdf, swf, and svg. The pdf file uploads and displays well but is not quite what I am looking for. The http only uploads the file name with no meat. The swf (Flash) seems to upload but then rejects the file as a security risk.

I do note that OOo Export only has a Macromedia Flash choice although I believe that Flash is now an Adobe product. It could be I am using an ancient version of Flash which is thus rejected.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Support replied the topic: Convert & Upload Impress Slide Show to Word Press

Dear Robert,

Could you please tell us the way Spider Video Player is conflicting with this? Is it not transferring the videos, when you try?

Please specify the part of our player in the problem a little bit more.
Thank you!

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Robert replied the topic: Convert & Upload Impress Slide Show to Word Press

Hi! Sorry for the delay in responding. It has been a busy several days.

I don't think your player is "conflicting" in any way. It is undoubtedly more a matter of me not understanding all the ramifications.

When I read the instructions and reference to Flash I knew I could do that. Reading more carefully I realized that your player wanted a different Flash format (.flv) than what Impress was using. I haven't overcome that stumbling block yet.

I can also export from Impress in the .html, .pdf, .jpg, .png, and gif. I have tried saving in all and then importing to WP/Spider. My goal is to produce the equivalent of a PowerPoint/Impress presentation on the web, ideally with voice over. Here are the results with each of the saved formats:

.pdf imported nicely and displays nicely. It opens in a separate tab on my browser. I don't know if that is good or not. It mostly fills up the screen but the individual frames are visible. It can be clicked through but doesn't seem to want to play automatically. I have tried adjusting the settings but nothing seems to have an impact on how it displays.

The .png format (and .gif) seems to import OK but only the first slide/frame is in the package. The .png export (but not .gif) also created individual .img files for each of the 9 slides plus a "Title" file. When I import the title file only the first slide is presented. Each of the individual .img files can also be imported but they are not connected to one another as far as I can tell. I assume some kind of programming could string them together but programming, even CSS, is outside my pay grade!

.html/htm appears to tie the 9 slides together but the results are strange (at least to me). When uploaded to the player it provides a full window display but only of the background of the original slide -- there is no "content" displayed. The blank slides advance automatically through .img01 to .img09 but all are blank. I have not imported the .imgXX.html files that are created during export from Impress. Maybe that would allow the content to be displayed.

I have to do more reseach to see if Open Office.org can provide a converter from .odp to .flv. Maybe that would cure all my ills. In the interim, is there something I am missing in the uploading, etc. of any of the exported versions?

I had my 79th birthday just a few days ago. Trying to build a website to show off my model railroad is an interesting challenge. I assume it will either fry my brain or keep me kicking for a few more years!

Thank you -- Bob

Hello Mr. Robert,

Your enthusiasm is really inspiring.

Let me tell you that our video player accepts only the following formats: MP4, WebM, and Ogg.

So the formats you have tried to add just can't work fro us.

I have made a little research for you and can suggest you the following.

If I am not mistaken you have the power point file of your project yes? i mean in the ppt format.

Please search teh internet for "ppt to mp4 converter".

After converting the file, you can easily insert mp4 format file to our player.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Thank you for your further guidance. You have raised my level of confusion a couple of notches. A few more levels and I should break out into the sunshine. Or as my Dad would have said, "Any 5 year old with 15 years experience can handle it." Maybe in my case, it is any 79 year old with 5 years experience.

My reading of your FAQs and literature is that there are about 8 formats that Spider can handle. The ones I have tried, .pdf, .gif, jpg, .htm, and .png are all listed. Somewhere it also says Html5 and Flash are supported. Now you say there are only 3 supported formats: MP4 (mpeg4?), WebM, and Ogg. Never heard of WebM or Ogg but I know there are thousands of formats out there with new ones created daily to confuse the graybeards.

My presentation is in Impress .odp format. Impress provides the option of saving as Powerpoint .ppt but I did not see the need and I didn't want to lose fidelity through conversion. I had searched Google for articles on how to convert both Powerpoint and Impress to video. I did not search for specific "from --> to" methodology. A new trail to follow through the desert.

Thank you very much for your patience and assistance. With your help I know that I will eventually punch a few holes in the cloud cover.

Bob

Mr. Support,

I found two free converters on line to go from .odp to MP4. The first one seemed to work but then hung up with the message that the uploaded file was corrupted. The second converter did the job and saved it to my desktop. It opened in the WP/Spider nicely and automatically played through with the slide timings I had in the original -- which probably are not optional. I will have to redo it unless I can edit the video within WP. Haven't tried yet but at least I am above the clouds with this break through.

I am confused about what the Spider Player icon accomplishes. In the WP edit window I dragged the icon into the Content area and selected the one player I have established. However, the video played outside, that is, below the Spider window. The video works the same whether I have the player icon in the Content window or not. Is the idea to have a playlist attached to the player thus telling the player to play everything in the playlist rather than calling the desired video directly to the Content window? My current plan is to attach one video encompassing a number of slides for each WP content page so maybe the player thingie will not be useful in my case.

I have a long way to go yet but with this break through I can move ahead one small step at a time. Again, thank you for your help and your patience.

Bob

Hello Mr. Robert,

Sorry for late response, this is due to weekend.

So, now you have a video in mp4 format, yes?

You want to publish only that video yes, or you have several videos.

If you have only one video, please enter video player, videos and add your video.

Then to publish the video please enter the post/page, click on video player icon, here a window will open, please choose Single video, then you'll see your added video in drop down list, please select the video choose a theme for your video player and press Insert.

If you have several videos and you want to create a playlist.

Then please add the videos, go to playlists, add a playlist by selecting which videos to include.

Now you can publish the playlist, please enter post/page > click on video icon > select a player from the list and press insert.

Hope this help you to come one step closer to what you wish.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Thank you for the extra info on use of the player and playlist. My current plan (unless I get really smart soon) is to have a regular content page to introduce "chapters" of my model railroad story. Each chapter would include one video so I probably won't need any playlists.

My hang up now is getting the timing right. I think it would be useful to have the designated MP4 play from start to finish with a single click of the "Play" button, but it would also be great if the user could manually advance the MP4 one slide at a time. Right now I don't see the mechanism for that.

It might be that the Spider player is not the right solution because it seems to act as a movie projector. I perhaps need to find a slide projector type of plug in. If you have a suggestion in the Web-Dorado family I would be please to try it.

In the interim, thank you again for the very useful support you have given me.

Bob

Hello Mr. Robert,

Yes, I think that maybe video player is really not the right thing you need to use.

If you have just images, maybe you can try our Slider plugin.

This is the demo page, here you can check to see how it works wpdemo.web-dorado.com/slide3/ .

Also for me to be able to better assist you, maybe you can try to send me your work, I'll have a look and better understand which product you need to use.

I you don't want to send publicly, please email us at [email protected].

Please do mention this forum post URL in the subject line of your email.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds