Can I limit viewing contacts to registered users?

John Duffy created the topic: Can I limit viewing contacts to registered users?

Hi, I'd like to have a list of contacts on a menu item which will be only accessible to registered users who have logged in. I don't want any of the contact details to be able to be viewed or searched by non-registered viewers of the website. If I only have the link on the menu for registered Joomla users, will all the contact details be secure from anyone wanting to access them who isn't a registered user? For example, will a general website search return contact results? Could an attempt to view a potential contact using a suitable url format result in contact details being seen?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Agapi G. replied the topic: Can I limit viewing contacts to registered users?

Hello John! Thanks for posting your request!

Please note that this is a default functionality of Joomla menu items. If you take a look at the right sidebar, there is an option titled Access. Please select Registered option and this menu item will only be available for registered users.

You can see this in the screenshot I attached to this post.
Thank you! Have a great day!

Kind regards,
Agapi G.
Web-Dorado team
Attachments:

John Duffy replied the topic: Can I limit viewing contacts to registered users?

Thansk Agapi.

Yes, I've set up the menu item to be visible only to registered users only. The question I had was, given that the menu item is for registered users only, is there another way for anyone to access the contacts data, such as by putting in the url the standard path for contacts, even when they are not registered.

In the end, I've tried to copy the url of a contact when logged in, and then logged out and tried to see if I could access the same contact using the copied url, but I ended up being directed to the login page. I think that that test answers my question, that even with the correct url it is not possible to see a contact if the contacts menu link is only for registered users. Problem solved.

Agapi G. replied the topic: Can I limit viewing contacts to registered users?

That's awesome, John!

That's correct, if a contact is published privately, non-registered users will not see even if they paste the URL of the contact. We are very glad, that your question was sorted out.

Please feel free to let us know any other time you will have other requests. We'll be happy to assist!
Thank you! Have a great day!

Kind regards,
Agapi G.
Web-Dorado team

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds