Version 3.2.12 released. Was it worth it?

Phil Schaming created the topic: Version 3.2.12 released. Was it worth it?

On August 21 version 3.2.12 was released. There is no mention of what was changed. No listing of bug fixes, no option changes. etc. I've got a paid version of the component with support. That's not good support. Do I want to upgrade my web site?

I analyzed the code for changes and found three lines of code changed across the entire release. Two of those lines were version number changes in the module XML files. i.e. 3.2.11 was changed to 3.2.12. That is so minor as to be insignificant although important if there was a change to either of the modules. The other change was a single line of code in the component add_event view which was a background color change in the editor.

I hope this wasn't a release that was used to force a "Last Updated" change on the Joomla Extensions listing. If so, it's somewhat less than useful. Certainly in light of all the bugs that I've found since my purchase, I personally expect more from a quality development organization.

Regards,

Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Support replied the topic: Version 3.2.12 released. Was it worth it?

Dear Phil,

As you might remember, you reported a problem with frontend editor when adding events to calendar. That is what we have fixed in version 3.2.12.

We do try to provide excellent support, which includes bug fixes if a user as you reports. If that is not professional service to you, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Phil Schaming replied the topic: Version 3.2.12 released. Was it worth it?

I don't mean to be too harsh. Yes, the upgrade fixed part of the exact bug that I reported, but part of the bug is still there. i.e. the Published: Yes/No radio button still doesn't show as a radio button.

Also, other bugs that I've reported have been fixed by me in my own code so that I can proceed in my efforts. I can't just take your upgrade and blindly overwrite my code. That would erase my own efforts. I only overwrite my code with your code when I know it will work.

Thank you for your efforts with the upgrades, but having an idea as to what is actually going to be fixed would be a great help. Other sites usually provide a list of changes made in each version. Being up front and out in the open will only enhance your teams reputation as a professional software organization.

Regards,
Phil

Dear Phil,

Yes, updating will overwrite your code, so you did the right thing. Please note, that we haven't added Published: Yes/No option to frontend edit, because only the admin should be able to decide whether to publish the event or not. I admit that there might be a few flaws related to that, but this is done for security concerns.

And thank you for your suggestion. I will pass it to our developers, so that they will include changelog with the product.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Please note, that we haven't added Published: Yes/No option to frontend edit, because only the admin should be able to decide whether to publish the event or not. I admit that there might be a few flaws related to that, but this is done for security concerns.

On my system I give a specific user group capability to publish events on the calendars. I consider it arbitrary to only allow the admin to publish. Team leaders can publish their events on the front end. They are not admins and don't belong to the admin group.

Please note my entry here: web-dorado.com/forum/spider-calendar-joo...-user-anomalies.html

How do you think it is a security issue? I'm interested. If I know that my calendar people aren't going to do sql injections etc. I trust them to enter their events and get on with it.

Phil

Dear Phil,

I see your point, and also because the default value for publishing is set to Yes.

You do trust your users indeed, however, there might be website that could have the frontend editing user level set to Public and therefore anyone can submit an event.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

I see your point. The public could be allowed to enter events.
The software would have to be tightened up to prevent injections.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Support

Dear Phil,

It does, but just to be sure nothing happens.
In any case, thank you for your suggestions for product development.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds