No [Photo Gallery] button on post/page section

David Ivory created the topic: No [Photo Gallery] button on post/page section

Having created a photo gallery (which I called photo gallery) and uploaded images and photos I then published the gallery.

Everything is in order in the plugin as far as I can tell.

However when I go to the page where I wish to add in the Photo Gallery there is no [photo gallery] button to click. I have metaslider installed and that button appears fine, as does the native [Add Media] button.

I've updated to the latest Photo Gallery plugin - version 1.0.3 - today prior to creating the gallery.

Can you propose a solution to this problem - or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Support replied the topic: No [Photo Gallery] button on post/page section

Dear David,

Most probably you are viewing the Text tab. Please go to Visual tab and look there. You will find the Photo Gallery icon there.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

David Ivory replied the topic: No [Photo Gallery] button on post/page section

Yup - that was it. Thanks for that.

But I have a problem with the options for this plugin. I expected the thumbnail view to have an option to show the image description - but even the modal popup doesn't show the description unless you hover over the i in the footer. This is very counter-intuitive.

For my project I need the description under the thumbnail and in the lightbox unfortunately. It is probably an important feature for many people. Imagine a set of thumbnails for a product list, or a portfolio of photos of an event or... well most uses for an album of photos really.

I note that the album view has this feature - why not the thumbnail view?

So it looks like I will have to uninstall and try another gallery.

Frankly this makes this plugin beautiful to view but useless for me. Sorry.

Dear David,

Thank you for your suggestion. We will add it in the next update.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Thanks that will be great - I'll look out for that update.

Actually there's another issue.

The 200 x 200 thumbnails I've set in options are not 200 x 200 natively - they (at least for the landscape ones I'm using) have been resized to a maximum width of 200 pixels. This means that an image is reduced to say 200w x 150h - but then displayed at 200w x 200h.

150h -> 200h resizing in the browser.

In effect the 200w x 150h image is being displayed at 266w x 200h then cropped to fit 200x 200. I've checked this by downloading the image resized by the plugin.

This is not desirable as the thumbnails are becoming overly pixelated and blurry when displayed.

To make it clear - the 200 x 200 dimension was set in the options prior to any images being uploaded into the plugin.

I think the easiest way to correct this behaviour is to first crop the thumbnail image to square (or the ratio of the size set in options) using the minimum dimension to set the crop - and then resize to 200 x 200 (or whatever the thumbnail option is set at) - this would retain the maximum resolution.

This would also be good to add to the next revision cycle. If this is soon I'd gladly upgrade to the pro version.

Dear customer,

You should do the following steps in order to set the thumbnails display properly:
1. Go to Photo Gallery -> Options -> Thumbnail Options and set the "Thumbnail dimensions" bigger than 200 x 200 px
2. Upload the images again.
3. Go to your page or post and set your desired size in "Image thumbnail dimensions".

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Except your step by step set up guide specifically says: -

2.8 Images. You can add photos by clicking Add Images button.
Disclaimer: The default size of the thumbnails will be set to the dimension set in Thumbnail Options of the Options section, so it is advised to make the necessary changes in advance to uploading an image.
The plugin is not using standard WordPress Media Manager, instead here you will be redirected to Photo Gallery File Manager. After uploading images you should mark them and press Open button.

web-dorado.com/wordpress-gallery-guide-step-2.html

So your suggested fix is not really an appropriate response to the issue. You should fix the behaviour in code as I suggested rather than suggest this gludgey workaround that goes explicitly against your installation guide.

Dear David,

It is exactly the same that we have written in previous post. For your convenience we will try to find an alternative solution for this in future, however we think that it is not as difficult as you have mentioned. Can you please tell us which part is not clear for you so as we can help you ?

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Not difficult? Perhaps. Perverse? Totally.

To make it clear, your workaround: -

You should do the following steps in order to set the thumbnails display properly:
1. Go to Photo Gallery -> Options -> Thumbnail Options and set the "Thumbnail dimensions" bigger than 200 x 200 px
2. Upload the images again.
3. Go to your page or post and set your desired size in "Image thumbnail dimensions".

is nothing like your 'step-by-step' instructions online: -

2.8 Images. You can add photos by clicking Add Images button.
Disclaimer: The default size of the thumbnails will be set to the dimension set in Thumbnail Options of the Options section, so it is advised to make the necessary changes in advance to uploading an image.
The plugin is not using standard WordPress Media Manager, instead here you will be redirected to Photo Gallery File Manager. After uploading images you should mark them and press Open button.

Your manual instruction effectively says to set the thumbnail in Options (I want 200 x 200) FIRST before uploading - all good. But your plugin code instead just resizes one of my typical files to 200 x 150 pixel dimensions - and then scales it in the browser to 267 x 200 and then crops it to the thumbnail dimension.

This is absolutely demonstrably true - see the image attached below to this post.

How is your plugin's handling of thumbnails even remotely sensible? It degrades the image. And your workaround suggests making the thumbnails oversize and letting the enduser download a larger size and let the browser resize down.

Yes - I understand exactly what you are saying and my mind boggles...

To paraphrase your workaround for clarity, to show you that I do indeed understand what you are saying, and also applying my example: -

1. set the thumbnail at a larger size than you really need (say 300 x 300)
2. Then upload the images again.
3. Then change the thumbnail size to 200 x 200 which is what you really want because what our code will do it resize your images to 300 x 230 and then scale in the browser down to 267 x 200 and then crop to 200 x 200.

You say -

try to find an alternative solution

- no need. Here you go: -

a) first crop full size image to square (or the aspect ratio of the thumbnail dimension set in options)
b) then resize the image to create the thumbnail at the exact size and aspect ratio of the thumbnail setting in options - or perhaps the roll-over image size - sweet!
c) there is no step c.
d) user does no guessing and gets an optimal result

Until you do that (I'm hoping you will) here's a suggested revision to your instructions based on the workaround you have told me as your current step-by-step is wrong: -

Before uploading any images choose your thumbnail dimension (say 200 x 200) but don't set this in the Options when you upload. Instead set the size of the thumbnail dimension to a higher value but using the same aspect ratio (say 300 x 300). This will ensure that when the thumbnail is resized in our code that the minimum pixel dimension stays above the 200 pixels you are imagining you need, but that you haven't yet set in our software. The 300 x 300 option for instance will not resize your thumbnails to the exact pixel dimension you have set. It will instead resize the thumbnails so that the maximum pixel dimension is what you have set (say 300)and the minimum pixel dimension will be smaller (say around 230) but this depends on your images aspect ratio. So if you want 200 x 200 thumbnails and the aspect ratio of your images is 1:2 then make sure you actually set 400 x 400 to ensure our code does not resize the minimum pixel dimension to a value smaller what you are imagining but haven't set in Options.

Then when the thumbnails are displayed the oversize thumbnail will be cropped and rescaled in the browser so that the set thumbnail size (300 x 300) will be presented. It will look all pixelated so then you need to remember to go back and change the thumbnail setting in Options back to what you really wanted all along (200 x 200).

If you put the above suggested text in your step-by-step instructions in place of what is there then it will be all good - the workaround instructions will match your code.

Yes - I'm joking... a bit. But that is in fact what your 'not as difficult' solution really suggests.

Anyway - thanks for your time.

I've tried to give you constructive criticism that would improve your product - but you seem resistant to even considering that what you're suggesting is not optimal - or at worse you consider the workaround 'not as difficult'. Sure you're right, and more wrong because of that suggestion.

But do think this - why would this 'not as difficult' behaviour make me use this plugin?

Overall the rest of the plugin really looks pretty cool and with the option of the text under the thumbnails it would be spot on - and FREE. Great stuff... except - I'm ultimately disappointed.

I really need to move on now I think. Good luck.

Attachments:

Dear David,

Thank you for your suggestions. We really appreciate your healthy criticism and the fact that you have spent your time reviewing our product. We are currently working on adding an option to show the image description in thumbnails view as you have suggested. We will also discuss your suggestion concerning image thumbnails. Thank you.

Best regards,
Web-Dorado team

Joomla extensions ,
Wordpress plugins ,
Drupal modules

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds