Admin submission alerts are broken

Jim Gribble created the topic: Admin submission alerts are broken

Hello,
We have a longtime subscription for educationlaw.org. It's been a great experience. Recently we updated the entire site and are at Joomla 3.85. Submissions come through fine but alerts are not being received by admin. It is nothing wrong with the admin e-mail; also, if customer asks to be notified, customer does receive e-mail copy as requested. It is only admin alert that doesn't work. This has been an issue from time to time over the years and I think it's nothing major. But I wonder if someone from your team could have a quick look if I provide login. Of the many forms in use across the site the most critical one at the moment is here educationlaw.org/events/national-confere...esentation-proposals . This is the one we would want to use for testing/debug.
This morning I updated Form Maker to your latest version and made sure the plugin is enabled.
Thanks very much and we continue to be a loyal customer.
-Jim Gribble

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jim Gribble replied the topic: Admin submission alerts are broken

I don't know if it's pertinent, but I just wanted to mention that we have a Sucuri firewall. But I don't think that would be interrupting admin email alerts.
-Jim G.

Anoush replied the topic: Admin submission alerts are broken

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your inquiry :)

Firstly please make sure the email is not filtered to spam or junk folder of your email account. You can also try one of the following workarounds:

1. Try using another email address for From Email and Email to Send Submissions To options.
2. Perhaps your hosting does not have Sendmail enabled, which is required for mailing functions to work. Please contact your hosting provider and ask them to check this.
3. Alternatively, you can use SMTP, which will most probably resolve the problem.

Please go to Global Configurations > Server and set Mailer to SMTP from Mail Settings section. Setting an external SMTP server, such as GMail should work. However GMail requires authentication. Please find the necessary details for SMTP setup below.

Mailer: smtp
SMTP Authentication: yes
SMTP Security: SSL
SMTP Port: 465
SMTP Username: your gmail full address
SMTP Password: your gmail password
SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com

Let us know if this helps.
Thanks! Have a wonderful day!

Hello Anoush,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
We aleady meet almost all your checklist. I have a couple questions. And I will attach a screenshot of current Joomla email settings.
1. Why port 465? (We had a lot of issues getting both sitemail and customer's G Mail to work. Our host provider, SiteGround, was incredibly helpful in coming up with a combination hat finally worked. You'll see they have port set to 2525. Please give a little further info why we should change it to 465 and what will that do?)
2. We don't have any aggresive bot filters turned on at the Sucuri firewall. Also, sitemail is working fine in that we receive system emails etc. and the all-purpose admin email works fine. For that we set up a webmail account at SiteGround instead of G Mail - admin@educationlaw.org. I can easily add whitelist IPs if I know what they are. Is there something I should be looking for specifically?
The customer's all purpose business email is a G Mail account - ela@educationlaw.org, That's the one I want to use because they monitor it constantly. It's current working with the Joomla settings suggested by SiteGround.

Take care and thanks again,
-Jim Gribble

Attachments:

Hello Jim,

1. Please note that the 465 a Gmail default setting. The port of SMTP is 465.

2. Could you please try to test using another Gmail address?

Thanks! Have a great day!

Hey Anoush,
You allayed my concerns that there was something wrong with the component. Turns out, not. Perhaps others should be aware of the nuance we encountered. We are hosted at SiteGround. With our SMTP settings, SiteGround insists that any "from" email system address be hosted on their server. All outbound system email have to originate from one of their email accounts. So I created a quick SiteGround webmail account, admin@educationlaw.org. I used that for all "from" emails, both to admin and to user, and it worked. The "to" emails can be G Suite or any working email account.
So this issue appears solved and I hope others take note for future reference.
-Jim Gribble

Dear Jim,

Thanks for letting us know about the results you have got. We will take a note for the future references.

Thanks! Have a good day!

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds