File attachment / upload not coming through

Dave the Cat created the topic: File attachment / upload not coming through

Hello,
I'm new to Form Maker, so please bear with me if this is an obvious question.
I've worked through the demo videos and set up a test form, which is working Ok... except for a couple of things which I can't work out...

The main problem is that file uploads don't come through to the administrator email. In the "form options" I have "Attach File" set to "Yes" in both the 'Email to Administrator' section and the 'Email to User' section. The uploaded file is going to the sender OK, attached to their email, but the email to the Administrator doesn't have the file attached.

The other odd thing, is that although I have now made several "test" submissions, there is nothing showing up in 'Components > Fomr Maker > Submissions". I thought I would mention that in case it has any relevance to the above issue.

I am using Form Maker version 3.6.8 and Joomla version 3.6.4

Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Agapi G. replied the topic: File attachment / upload not coming through

Hello Mandy!

Thank you for keeping us posted about this problem!

Firstly please let me note, that when you go to Components > Form Maker > Submissions page, you need to choose the form, the submissions of which you need to check. So please make sure to do that.

As for the problem with attachments, please check with your hosting provider and see if they aren't being blocked out after submission. There might be some limitations regarding attachments.

But if that's not the case, please send temporary Super User access information to your Joomla site through this form . Our developers will take a look at the problem and figure out a solution ASAP.

Also please mention the link to this forum thread in your message.
Thanks! Have a wonderful day!

Kind regards,
Agapi G.
Web-Dorado team

Dave the Cat replied the topic: File attachment / upload not coming through

Hi Agapi,
Thank you for the quick response!

As you suspected, in the submissions area, I had not chosen the form from the drop down list! Thank you - I got that now!

With regard to the attachments, I have just raised a query with our server host. I have now found out that the attachments come through OK if I set the Admin email to an address outside of our domain, so I expect it is a setting on our server. I will post back once I know anyway.

Thanks for your help!

Hey Mandy!

Thanks for the follow-up! We are glad the Submissions page question of yours was sorted out. Hopefully the hosting company will get back to you soon. Please do keep us posted about their response.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Agapi G.
Web-Dorado team

Hi Agapi,
OK, so it looks like it may be a problem with Form Maker after all, and not a server problem. Our server hosts have been helping us test this, and this is what we've found....

The Form I have set up for testing, has one "uploads" field, which is set to accept image file uploads only (.jpg / .jpeg / .gif / .png)

When a form is filled out and an image file uploaded, the image file attachment is not displaying at our recipient (Admin) end, in either Microsoft Outlook for Mac (desktop programme) or in the RoundCube mailboxes that we use online. The form itself arrives OK, but the attachment cannot be viewed.

The email (form) is been sent and received correctly according to the maillog on our server.

If I set the 'Email to Admin' email address to go to another mail programme (such as googlemail), or if I forward one of the forms (with the “invisible” attachment) to an email outside of those programmes - such as googlemail, the attachment appears OK. So we have found that Outlook for Mac and Roundcube are not able to show the attachment on the form, even though it is technically 'there' somewhere. (those are the two main email programmes that we use, so I really would like to find the solution to this!)

Just to clarify: the image file uploads we have been testing with are well within our filesize perameters (less than 100KB each), and are using allowed file extensions as set on the Form Options (ie .jpg / .jpeg)

We regularly receive image attachments on normal emails in both Outlook and Roundcube, without any problems, it’s only the image file attachments from the Form Maker forms that cannot be viewed in those programmes. Interestingly in Outlook, the emails which ‘should’ show an attachment to the form have a ‘paperclip’ icon by the side (which indicates that there is an attachment) but still that attachment cannot actually be seen.

Our server host tested this also, and has advised: “I think that the email send from your form isn't properly formatted and RoundCube isn't able to view it correctly, you might need to ask your web developer to review the form.”

I hope you can help. Please let me know if you need any further information!

Thank you!

Hey Mandy!

Thank you for getting back to us with this information! This is a common problem with attachments in PHP-generated emails from form plugins. In fact, we had similar cases before.

This happens only with mail client software applications, we even tried to contact Outlook support, and asked what can be done to prevent attachment blocking. However, we didn't have success here and we are offering a workaround for our customers instead. And that is providing a download link for the attached file.

So if you think this workaround will work for you, please give us temporary WordPress administrator access to your website, and we'll apply it on your website. You can send the info privately using this contact form .

Please note, that any sensitive information you provide is secured by our strong Privacy Statement. Feel free to look at it, if you'd like: goo.gl/6QtQhh

Don't forget to indicate the link to this forum thread in your message.
Thanks! Enjoy the weekend!

Kind regards,
Agapi G.
Web-Dorado team

Hi Agapi,
Thank you for that information, and for offering a work around. Instead, we will set up a separate mailbox just for these forms which is not on a 'mail client software application'.

As this is problem is already known to you, and as you say is a common problem - please may I suggest that you include that information in the documentation and in the video tutorial for Form Maker, so that others don't waste the amount of time we have spent on trying to work out what the problem was?

As we are new to Form Maker we assumed at first we were doing something wrong, and I am sure others will do the same. We then spent time testing and re-testing, our server host spent time testing and checking our server settings, plus we also spent time looking into whether this was a problem with Outlook. If your documentation had pointed out this issue at the outset we need not have done any of this, so it would help others I am sure to know this at the beginning.

One for the suggestion box I think!

Hey Mandy!

Thank you a lot for your suggestions! We are going to update Form Maker documentation soon, we'll consider notifying about this in the user guide. We're sorry for the inconvenience that the plugin has caused you.

Please feel free to let us know in case you will face other problems in the future.
We'll be happy to help you out any time!

Thanks! Have a nice start of the week!

Kind regards,
Agapi G.
Web-Dorado team

Marc replied the topic: File attachment / upload not coming through

I got the same Problem.
My Workaround is to use OnlyText Mails. Then the attachment is visible. But I am not happy with this solution :/
Any other Ideas? ;)

Hello Marc!

Thank you for posting about this issue!

The problem on your website seems to be a bit different, since you get the attachment is the email mode is set to Text. But could you please give us temporary WordPress administrator access to your website? Our development team will resolve the issue as soon as possible.

You can send the login information through this form . Also please mention the link to this forum thread in your message.
Thanks! Have a great day!

Kind regards,
Agapi G.
Web-Dorado team

Marc replied the topic: File attachment / upload not coming through

Im sorry, but first i use Joomla not Wordpress and second It's only used on our Internal Network. So i dont think you can login ;)
I dont think its a Form Maker Problem. It has something to do with the automatic Picture Download in Outlook.
Because Form Maker sends the Picture which is attached in the Form.
But Form Maker embedd the Picture inside the Mail instead attaching it.

Fun Fact:
I fill out a form and attach a jpg. Inside the Form config, the E-mail wich is generated is set to html.
The E-Mail is sent and the Size of the Mail is for Example 1MB. But the Picture attached to the mail is not visible.
If i open the Email via Browser. I see the picture ;)
The Problem only occours with jpg File. If i attach a pdf or doc file there is no Problem. This is just for clarification.

Best Regards
Marc

Hi Marc,
Mandy here (original poster of this thread), I just thought I would update you with what we did in the end. We also use Joomla! and in the end, we decided to retrieve the attachments from Form Maker 'submissions' area within Joomla!, instead of using a separate mailbox, (like you we were not able to retrieve the attachments from Outlook).

The only reason we didn't do it like that to begin with is because the text coming through on some large text fields were generating in one massively long line in the 'submisssions' area, but we gave Web-dorado temporary access and they fixed that for us in no time.

I don't know if that will help you, but thought I would update anyway.
Good luck!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Marc

Hello Marc!

That's correct, unfortunately we cannot access your internal server. But could you please try the following? If this is happening only with images, I am guessing your predictions regarding automatic Picture Download of Outlook are correct.

Please try to open your email on web, rather than with Outlook email client. The attachments should be send as usual in that case. Let us know how the message looks when you access your inbox from a web browser.

Thanks! Have a great day!

Kind regards,
Agapi G.
Web-Dorado team

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds